IDENTITY The Cooperating Baptist Fellowship of Oklahoma is a recognized 501(c)(3) charitable organization composed of individual Christians, partnering Churches and other entities adhering to Baptist distinctives.
MISSION This Fellowship exists for the purpose of being the presence of Christ in Oklahoma and the world.
1. We believe in God who reaches to the world in Jesus Christ.
2. We believe every believer is a priest, fully capable of being both approached by God and responding to God individually.
3. We believe in freedom under God for all to exercise the gifts of the Spirit.
4. We believe in the inspiration and authority of the Scriptures in matters of faith and practice.
5. We believe in the separation of Church and State.
6. We believe in intellectual freedom within a non-creedal faith.
7. We believe in religious liberty for all.
8. We believe every Baptist body is autonomous, independent and free to determine its own practices, policies and leadership.
9. We believe in living and working in comity toward transforming the kingdom of this world into the Kingdom of God.
“What It Means to Be a Cooperative Baptist.”
For we are laborers together with God (1 Corinthians 3:9).
“The Cooperative Baptist Fellowship is a community of Baptist Christians and churches walking together and drawn toward the center of our common life in Jesus Christ. We share this fellowship with God, whom we have come to know through Christ. We serve as co-laborers with the Holy Spirit in God’s mission. Within these relationships we freely offer this expression of our identity, not to bind the conscience of any believer or the freedom of any congregation but as an expression of the nature of our fellowship.
Our vision is to be a national and global community bearing witness to the gospel in partnership with Christians across the nation and around the world. Our understanding of Baptist faith and practice is expressed by our emphasis on freedom in biblical interpretation and congregational governance, the participation of women and men in all aspects of church leadership and Christian ministry, and religious liberty for all people.
Our life together is also shaped by a common ministry focus. Because of our passion to obey the Great Commandment (Matthew 22:34-40) and the Great Commission (Matthew 28:19-20) of our Lord, we are committed to global missions with the least evangelized and most neglected persons of the world through sending vocational and volunteer missionaries. Because of our passion for called, gifted and qualified ministry leaders, we are committed to effective leadership development in partnership with theological education institutions. Because of our passion for local churches as the locus of Christian formation and discipleship development, we are committed to a collaborative model of resourcing congregations through the development of a robust resource network. Because of our passion for participation in God’s mission beyond the capacity of most congregations, we are committed to supporting ministry partners who share our identity, values, and goals.
Our community consists of congregations, individuals, regional fellowships, and ministry partners. While we respect the freedom and individuality of each member of our community, we are committed to practices of cooperation, collaboration, and leadership that will enable us to be faithful and wise stewards of our common life and mission.
In summary, Cooperative Baptist Fellowship is a community of Baptist Christians who cooperate together to engage people in missions and equip people for ministry” (Cooperative Baptist Fellowship. 2012 Task Force Report. CBF: Atlanta, 2012).